Update 10 - Spookylands Expansion (Patch Notes)

Hey hunters,

It’s Halloween! To celebrate, we have our first ever true expansion for Zero out! It’s called “Spookylands”, and there are new levels, new enemies and new mechanics - including ghosts and candy, of course. We even have a new trailer coming out for it!

Our website, Twitter and forums got the full Halloween makeover as well, so go check them out if you haven’t already:

www.relichunters.com.br

www.relichunters.com.br/forums

www.roguesnail.com

After this Betu and I will start working on the next big expansion for the game: The Community Pack!

Happy hunting!

Cheers,

~Mark

*Features*
New stage with 3 new levels: Spookylands!
New enemy on Spookylands: Worms;
New enemy on Spookylands: Zombie Turtle;
New enemy on Spookylands: Worm Zombie;
New Spooky enemy weapons for the Zombie Turtles;
New environmental hazard: spikes;
Candy drops that heal a bit of health!
3 new Achievements!

*Art*
New sprites for the Ducan Chest and the Haunted Chest;
A bunch of new art for all the things;

*Audio*
New music for Spookylands;
New sound for Character Switch;

*Gameplay*
The "Hunted" Challenge now spawns a random Ducan Elite type instead of always spawning the Rifle one;
Ducan Elite Rifle shields decreased from 500 to 400;
Ducan Elite Rifle hp decreased from 1400 to 1100;
Ducan Elite Shotgun shields decreased from 420 to 350;
Ducan Elite Shotgun hp decreased from 1200 to 1000;
Ducan Elite Plasma shields decreased from 500 to 400;
Ducan Elite Plasma hp decreased from 1600 to 1400;
Bounty Stars' fade time increased from 9-12 seconds to 12-15 seconds;
Explosions can now hit only up to 5 unique targets at the same time;
Grenade damage now scales with the Weapon Level of your equipped weapon;
Ghost Ducan now teleports if you face it for too long;
Playing Endless Mode now resets your saved Relic setup in Adventure Mode;

*Fixes*
Fixed a bug where going into Adventure Mode after playing Endless would carry on the last Relic selection from Endless;
Fixed a bug where rocket launcher damage was not scaling with Challenges, Relics and Weapon Upgrades;

Comments

• edited October 2015
    FINALLY :D Can't wait to play the update
    Edit: I also noticed that there were only 2 views and no comments when I was writing this. So.....first?
    Edit 2: Ok, so I SUPPOSE I should give my opinion, though the game is still updating for me on steam :
    1. YAAAY new area.... don't know how to get there yet, but its cool!
    2. Nice thing that ducan elites were nerfed but does it also include loop 2 ones or only challange ones?
    3. THANK GAWD that stars dissappear slowly now, because my inner instincts forced me to get those.... even without my shield fully back on.
    4. Grenades scale with your weapon level? Well for one thing it gives purpose to upgrading Biu's shield, but second, how much is base damage from before? Still +0? (What I mean is, do grenades you get from the beggining without having your weapon upgraded deal the same damage as before or are they nerfed a bit so that to do same damage as before you have to upgrade?)
    5. The relic setup thing is mroe of a bug fix; I could get extra bounty relic for adventure through endless.
    Unless that was a feature, in which case : Suuuuuuuuuure.......
    6. Nevermind: it is a bug fix. I didn't read ahead.
    7. Also, back to greanade scaling, does it include super shield? Because it would be AWESOME if you could increase Pinkyy's super shield duration this way.
  • 2. All elites
    4. Base damage is the same as before (200)
    7. Nope! :D
  • edited October 2015
    Okay, so i started playing. I played only through first floor, but here are my opinions:
    1. That's a nice name for a stage... and I'm not talking about "spookylands" YOU DIDN'T THINK I WOULD NOTICE, DID YOU???
    2. Man, Ace sounds so depressing ): You could have given him some cheesy halloween one-liners, like...uh... "I've got a BONE to pick with those guys!" I know, I'm bad. The small change that there is no dot at the end of his sentence makes it even creepier...
    3. I WAS PROMISED CANDY DROPS. I ONLY FOUND MEDKITS. I WANT CANDY.
    4. I didn't notice the small critters actually attack turtles. You could make it more clear, like how in 1-3 it's very likely to meet kami vs ducans fights, so that you know you can use that to your advantage.
    5. I'm not going to talk too much about enemies (especially because I only beaten 1st floor) but the "dead" zombies caught me off guard, nice idea!
    6. The fact that most enemies are melee based. Biu won't have such an easy time here >:D (especially because I didn't see any weapons around the place)
    7. Is the entrance always going to be that simple to reach? You could make it harder to reach or completely side-track, not like "Here, have a new level. Since we didn't have enough time to come up with something more interesting, here's a normal teleporter to the place right in front of you." I do hope there will be more interesting ways to get there, like how you mentioned in the endless mode roadmap about outer layer or sth like that. Unless THIS is what you meant.
    8.The fact that spikes can be easily dashed through. Seriously? And why can't enemies be harmed by them???
    NEXT TIME ON SPOOKY LAND REVIEW
    Oh, spikes DO hurt while dashing. Hmmm.
  • PREVIOUSLY ON SPOOKY LANDS REVIEW
    3. I WAS PROMISED CANDY DROPS. I ONLY FOUND MEDKITS. I WANT CANDY.
    CURRENTLY ON SPOOKY LANDS REVIEW
    Okay, second floor done. Let's see...
    1. Is Ace going to repeat that one line of dialogue? Well, that turned from depressing to repetitive real quick.
    2. Yay challange ghosts are here! I can mess with them even more!
    3. Awww....I realised they disappear now D:
    4. Okay, spikes DO hurt you. not enough to break a shield though.
    5. ...aaaand they didn't hurt me just now, though I was still dashing. Wait, was I dashing before?...Yeah, I wa- wait.... AH IM CONFUSED
    6. I found my candies in pumpkin blocks...but... is it me or does that make healing a lot easier? And it's not like the area is hard, it's just new. Once i get the hang of it it will be as easy as normal levels, and candies will support that.
    7. MAZES! MY ONLY WEAKNESS! this game is supposed to be a bit rouge like tho
    8. Now that I think about it... WHY do i play this? It is fun and new, but is there a reward for getting through this? Anything worth the new challange?...
    NEXT TIME ON SPOOKY LANDS REVIEW
    ... Wait, an arena- like stage without cover?
    This is bad. This is REAL bad.
  • edited October 2015
    PREVIOUSLY ON SPOOKY LANDS REVIEW
    8. Now that I think about it... WHY do i play this? It is fun and new, but is there a reward for getting through this? Anything worth the new challange?...
    CURRENTLY ON SPOOKY LANDS REVIEW
    ...This is bad. This is very very bad. No, now I LOVE this update, but the current situation is disasterous.
    1. An arena? That's interesting... wait, enemies keep SPAWNING? That....is....awesome.
    2. Is this supposed to replace a halloween boss battle? Because it's a bit lazy and unimaginative. Best of all, IT WORKS. I LUV THIS UPDATE.
    3. Hmm... how nice there is something secret about this level that I managed to get and get rich (trying to avoid spoilers here). YOU DIDN'T THINK I WOULD NOTICE, DID YOU???
    4. Well I guess I will try to engage these zombies in a bit more close ran- IM DEAD. NOT BIG SURPRISE.
    Well, time to do this all over again...
    NEXT TIME ON SPOOKY LANDS REVIEW
    Well I better check if there is a chest on 1-1 to help- oh hey, there is :D
    "digs up"
    ...hmm. Another teleport to spooky lands.
  • Haha don't worry, Ace dialogue is on my to-do list for tomorrow :)
  • edited October 2015
    PREVIO- ah, screw that.
    Well, I tried again with Jimmy, died because i ran out of ammo.
    Spikes don,t hurt while dashing, I'm sure of that now.
    And there are normal weapons scattered around.
    Playing with Pinkyy now. Nice thing there are candies around, though I STILL think it's a bit wrong.
    Also, my exit teleport is on spikes now. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    EDIT: ACTUALLY NO THANK GOD CANDIES ARE HERE
    Well, now that enemies melee, ghosts are actually a danger. huh.
    Well, I died at the arena at about wave 4. I think I'll try after loop 0....
  • edited October 2015
    Well the ducan chest looks awesome but also completely different. Wonder if the ducans will track me to what is basically hell...
    Also, Ace got bizarelly entusiasthic when I was looking for it for 2 minutes.
    Edit: OH F*CK THE DUCANS HAVE TRACKED ME TO HELL 0_O
  • edited October 2015
    Well, I have beaten it. I got through the spooky lands.
    1. First time I got to floor 3, there were about 4-5 waves, but now I won after beating about 3. Why?
    2. "MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT WHAT I HAVE FOUND IS COMPLETELY NEW AND IS A TOTAL SPOILER. DONT LOOK IF YOU CARE"
    For getting through, you get a lot of bounty (not exactly at the end from a chest or sth, just that enemies overall give a lot of it) and a spooky chest, expect it doesn't give you the haunted challange. Yup, a f*cking haunted chest for all of that.
    This update is great anyways, but I still have to decide if the reward is worth the effort.
    Edit: Also, does floor 3 give homage to the zombie mod? Because if yes, then this makes it even more interesting :)
  • edited October 2015
    @MrArcade so many posts. Good update tho.
  • Oh come on :( I thought Scar is come with this patch.
    Still fun tho :3 I got in spooky land 1, but can't stay for long cause just in past lvl1 :v no ammo, and stuck with Ace
  • @ThoBeo I'm assuming that Scar and other mods will come in the next expansion. After all, that's why it's going to be called The Community Pack, right?
  • I want Reaper,Scar and Kumi-chan :V @markventurelli
  • edited November 2015
    Uh.....I started playing today and I can't find the teleport to spooky lands. Why? Is that because it's only for halloween? Do I have to change the date on my computer like in Terraria?
    And if it's like that, then 1 day isn't nearly enough.
  • @MrArcade I think it just has a chance to appear when you dig up a chest (I heard someone say it is only in 1-1 but not sure)
  • @MrArcade you find Spookylands when you dig up a chest @NinSegaBros its in any level i think
  • @Buizel3 Ok, I have never fond it yet so I don't know
  • @Buizel Oh okay... I was asking because before it was on 1-1 at the start and then it was gone. I guess I'll have to replay 1-1 now to get there instead of just taking the teleport
  • edited November 2015
    @markventurelli About the patch that was added to the game on steam...
    "Fixed "I AM ERROR" message displaying on the Pause Menu in Spookylands;"
    That certainly seems like an "accidental" bug.....
  • Nuuu not the I am error bug nuuu